The topic of invasive species and their impact on biodiversity is important for youth to be aware of and there are many resources available that fit well into the BC Prescribed Learning Outcomes. Here are a number of resources that may be helpful in your classroom.
Attention Teachers! Enjoy these resources for each grade level:
- Invasive Species Education Activities: Primary (PDF)
- Invasive Species Education Activities: Elementary (PDF)
- Invasive Species Education Activities: Intermediate (PDF)
- Invasive Species Education Activities: Secondary (PDF)
Youth Activities to do in your Classroom:
- Musical Mussels (Grade 2-5) (PDF)
- Aquarium Poster (Grade 3-5) (PDF)
- Native / Invasive Plants (Grade K-4) (PDF)
- Biodiversity Scavenger Hunts for (Grade 1-7) (PDF)
- Wanted Posters for (Grade 1-5) (PDF)
- We Are Being Invaded for (Grade 1-4) (PDF)
- Mussels on Trail the Play (PDF)
- In-Credibly Informed (Grade 6) PDF
- Create a Plant Field Guide (Grade 7) PDF
Youth Pulling Together Program-Field trips and guest speakers
The Central Kootenay Invasive Species Society provides FREE field trips to interested schools and classes. To book a field trip or guest speaker, please contact us and we will provide you with more information and resources.
Education Activities and Resources – for Teachers and Other Educators
Activities are suitable for use in both formal school programs, as well as for informal youth groups, camps and recreation programming, and can be done in any sequence. The activities are listed with suggested age / grade categories, but most can be adapted to suit almost any age and audience. Choose an activity to do every day of the week! See more at: ISCBC
Invader Ranger Clubhouse and Youth Activity Book
Bionic Bob-Colouring book
A colouring book with activities and games that outlines biological control that was developed by Ministry of Forests. A PDF download is available with permission from Ministry of Forests.
A Kid’s Journey to Understanding Weeds – Activity sheets
A US-based set of activity sheets for many weed species that include games and activities. Click here for more details.
Project UFO: Searching for “Unidentified Foreign Organisms”, a program from Cape Breton University. Click here for more details.
Invasives: Plants on the Move
Great on-line resource designed for teachers who want to integrate the topic of invasive plants into the classroom curriculum. Based out of the US, but easily adaptable to BC Prescribed Learning Outcomes, CKISS has many of these resources completed to meet BC PLO’s. Contact us if you would like copies, or click here to download the original resources.
Royal BC Museum-Aliens Among Us
Interactive website, with teacher’s resources, great online mapping tools and invasive species profiles. Check it out here.