Ten boats carrying live invasive mussels have been stopped at BC borders this summer.
As of August 10th, stats are as follows:
- Watercraft inspected: 17,400
- Boats with invasive mussels intercepted: 10!
- Decontamination orders issued: 75
- Number of people reached with Clean, Drain, Dry message: 34,800
For more information, click here
Golden is the hotspot!
All 10 of the infested boats were found at the Golden, BC inspection station. Golden also has the highest number of boats inspected in one day, at 217. Big high fives to the crew at the Golden station for keeping our waters safe this summer!
How can I help keep BC waters free of invasive species?
IMPORTANT: If your boat has recently been in an area with zebra or quagga mussels: call 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP line) before launching into any body of water. It would only take 1 mussel-infested boat to devastate B.C. lakes. Protect our waters!
To prevent aquatic invasive species from ending up in our lakes, make sure that you Clean, Drain and Dry your watercraft when moving between water bodies as follows:
- CLEAN: Remove plants, animals and mud from your boat, trailer, and equipment. Need to find a place to wash your boat? Download Commercial boatwash locations.
- DRAIN: Drain your bilge, ballast, buckets, and any other water containers onto dry land,
- DRY: All items should be completely dry before launching into another waterbody.