Human activity is one of the primary ways that invasive species can spread into new areas. That means that there are lots of ways that you can reduce the spread of invasive species.
Check out the pages under the Take Action tab of our site to learn more about how you can help!
On land, invasive species can be introduced and spread by:
- Seeds “hitchhiking” on people’s clothing, equipment pets or vehicles
- Invasive plants being intentionally or accidentally planted in gardens
- Improper disposal of garden waste
- Releasing pets into the wild
Aquatic invasive species are typically introduced and spread by:
- Improper disposal of aquarium water, plants and pets
- Planting invasive species near aquatic and riparian ecosystems
- Attached to boat motors, trailers and recreational gear
- Releasing aquarium pets into the wild