It was another close call this past summer when a water enthusiast transporting a mussel-fouled kayak was stopped at one of the mandatory watercraft inspection stations. A reminder that invasive mussels can and will attach to any surface including non-motorized boats such as canoes, kayaks and paddleboards.
A few quick facts:
• Zebra mussels are very difficult to eradicate once they are established, prevention is essential!
• Invasive mussels can cause millions in damage;
• Any freshwater mussel that is attached to your equipment is an invasive mussel and must be reported;
• Have your boat inspected – it is mandatory for ALL watercraft to stop for an inspection in B.C. & Alberta;
• Follow the CLEAN,DRAIN,DRY protocols on your boat and equipment to reduce the spread of aquatic invasive species;
• Do not use commercial car washes to clean your kayak or canoe – water is not hot enough and mussels may survive and spread! Please call the RAPP line to have your boat properly decontaminated 1-877-952-7277