On May 14, 2022, CKISS is coordinating a Community Weed Pull in Castlegar. We are teaming up with the Kootenay Gallery and the Castlegar Butterfly Way project for this hands on event. We will remove Scotch broom in order to improve ecosystem health and protect the community. The event is a fundraiser for the Castlegar Butterfly Way project, CKISS will be donating $250 that will go towards native plants for the Butterfly gardens near the gallery. The new pollinator garden creates much needed habitat for bees and butterflies!
Why is Scotch broom a problem?
- The plant is very flammable and the buildup of dead material in dense patches can create a fire hazard.
- Obstructs driver views on roadsides.
- Scotch broom outcompetes native species which affects the food chain.
- Takes over rangelands and plantations resulting in decreased crop yields and plantation failures.
Date: Saturday May 14, 2021
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: 120 Heritage Way, Castlegar. Meet at the Kootenay Gallery Roundabout
Please bring your own:
- Gloves – we have spares if required
- Sturdy footwear
- Long sleeves
- Water and snacks
- Tools will be provided. Feel free to bring your own clean clippers to cut the broom.