Calling all trail users, it’s time to give back to the trails you use and love! On May 6, 2023, CKISS is coordinating a Community Weed Pull in Nelson at Pulpit Rock. We are teaming up with the Pulpit Rock Society and trail running enthusiast & Nelson’s 2023 Sport Ambassador Jazmine Lowther for the event. With the help from volunteers we will remove invasive plants along the trail in order to improve ecosystem health and to protect one of the most popular trails in Nelson. One of the plants that we will be targeting is Scotch broom! #ProtecttheKootenays #PlayCleanGo
Why is Scotch broom a problem?
- The plant is very flammable and the buildup of dead material in dense patches can create a fire hazard.
- Scotch broom outcompetes native species, lowering plant diversity which affects the food chain.
- Takes over rangelands and plantations resulting in decreased crop yields and plantation failures.
Date: Saturday May 6, 2023
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: Johnstone Road, Nelson, Meet at the Pulpit Rock Trailhead
Please bring your own:
- Gloves – we have spares if required
- Sturdy footwear
- Long sleeves
- Water and snacks
- Tools will be provided. Feel free to bring your own clean clippers to cut the broom or shovel to dig out other invasive plants.
We encourage you to carpool since parking may be limited!