On September 11, CKISS staff will be back in Nakusp! We are teaming up with the Nakusp Library on a Community Weed Pull – Broom Bash event in Nakusp. We will remove Scotch broom in order to improve ecosystem health and protect the community.
Why is Scotch broom a problem?
- The plant is very flammable and the buildup of dead material in dense patches can create a fire hazard.
- Obstructs driver views on roadsides.
- Scotch broom outcompetes native species which affects the food chain.
- Takes over rangelands and plantations resulting in decreased crop yields and plantation failures.
Date: Saturday September 11, 2021
Time: 1:00 – 2:00 pm
Location: Meet at the Petro Pass Truck Stop. 722 10 Ave NW, Nakusp
Please bring your own:
- Gloves – we have spares if required
- Sturdy footwear
- Long sleeves
- Water and snacks
- Tools will be provided. Feel free to bring your own clean clippers to cut the broom.
- Face covering
**To keep us all safe, CKISS has created Covid-19 procedures for our public events. Please be prepared to follow our instructions around physical distancing and hygiene. You will be emailed these details**