(Fallopia ssp. (Polygonum ssp.))
- Native to eastern Asia (Japan, China, Korea).
- Herbaceous perennial.
- Hollow stems, similar in appearance to bamboo.
- Reach 3-4 m high.
- May have small cream, white or slightly pink flowers.
- Reproduces vegetatively.
- Adapted to moist conditions, generally shade tolerant.
- Found throughout the region, along roadsides primarily.
Consequences of invasion
- Invades roadsides, disturbed sites, wetlands, riparian areas and streambanks.
- Increases erosion and sedimentation of streambanks and riparian areas.
- Decreases fish habitat and has negative impacts on salmonids.
- Negatively impacts infrastructure such as asphalt and house foundations by growing through them.
- May decrease land value.
Integrated Pest Management Options
- Chemical control is the only viable treatment option for large infestations-for more information please contact Kootenay Weed Control, 250-512-7378