The Kootenays is blessed with an epic selection of hiking and biking trails and it’s now easier than ever for YOU to protect them. CKISS, B.C. Parks, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) parks department and the Kootenay Columbia Trail Society (KCTS) are working together to encourage trail users to ‘Play Clean Go’ in order to protect the native ecosystems against invasive species introduction and spread. In 2016, ‘Play Clean Go’ signs and boot brushes were installed at 18 different trail heads and recreation sites within B.C parks located in the West Kootenays. We are happy to announce that fifteen additional signs and boot brushes will be installed at trail heads surrounding Kokanee Creek Provincial Park, and trails in the Rossland and Nelson area in 2018.
Here is how YOU can help:
- PlayCleanGo, arrive and leave natural areas clean. Remove all dirt, plants and bugs from your belongings, pets and vehicles
- Use weed free hay to feed your animals
- Stay on existing roads and trails
- Avoid weed-infested areas, especially parking and staging areas to prevent seed dispersal
- Burn firewood where you bought it or found it
- Report invasive species if you see them